Explore music, movement and art through dots and lines!
Dots and Lines is an interactive, multi-sensory programme for children aged 4 - 8 and their teachers/carers to enjoy together. Join Caroline, Dorothy Dot, Lily Line and Ms Chalk to explore how dots and lines can be expressed and experienced through sound, movement, shape and colour. In this online version, there is plenty to entertain and educate both in the classroom or at home. On this page you will find:
- 14 short films (2-10 minutes each)
- a musical playlist for use during screen-free time
- downloadable notes to guide you through the activities
A line is a dot that went for a walk
You will need
Space to move and art supplies so that you can join in with the activities in your own way. We use the following materials in the films but feel free to adapt according to your own resources and the children you are working with:
- chunky chalk and crayons
- large rolls of paper
- wooden 'sound makers'
- stretchy material
- large building block
- paper shapes (template provided)
Before you start
Think about some of these questions:
- Where do I see dots and lines in my everyday life, in school or in nature?
- Where do I see dots and lines when I look at a piece of music or art?
- Which shapes are they a part of? Which patterns do they help to create?
Let us know how you get on!
We hope that these films provide interesting starting points for your own creative and musical journeys with dots and lines and we’d love to hear your feedback. Fill out the questionnaire here or get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the music playlist to accompany activities during screen-free time