Join us on a journey of discovery as we hear music composed across five centuries - from 17th Century Purcell and Biber, through a mini-series exploring glorious works by Mendelssohn, to music by Nordic giants Sibelius, Nielsen and Stenhammar, and a taste of France with Berlioz and Ravel, as well as familiar friends Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.
We are particularly excited to welcome several featured artists across the Season. François Leleux plays and conducts three separate programmes including Berlioz’s Les Nuits d’Eté with another of our featured artists, the captivating soprano Carolyn Sampson, who also sings Purcell and Handel with Richard Egarr. Our third featured artist is French pianist Bertrand Chamayou who brings his remarkable musicianship to Beethoven and Ravel.
We also present three original SCO commissions by Martin Suckling, Jonathan Dove and John McLeod, along with a specially curated concert marking the 60th birthday of Sir James MacMillan, with the composer at the helm of our Chorus and Orchestra. The SCO Chorus will also take centre stage in performances of Haydn’s The Seasons, Mendelssohn’s Die erste Walpurgisnacht and Fauré’s Requiem.
Our simple online booking form has a new feature which allows you to easily select the following concert packages:
The Piano Series
Some of the world's greatest pianists feature in our Concert Season 2018/19. Select 'The Piano Series' when subscribing online.
- Mozart with Bezuidenhout (Mozart Piano Concerto No 24 / Kristian Bezuidenhout)
- Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 / Bertrand Chamayou
- Mozart Piano Concerto No 19 / Francesco Piemontesi
- Sibelius Symphonies Nos 6 & 7 (Beethoven Piano Concerto No 2 / Paul Lewis)
- Ravel Piano Concerto / Betrand Chamayou
The Vocal Series
The SCO Chorus continues to go from strength to strength under the hands of our charismatic Chorus Director Gregory Batsleer. If you love the thrill and beauty of live choral singing, as well as our featured artist Carolyn Sampson, select The Vocal Series when subscribing online.
- Haydn The Seasons / SCO Chorus
- Mendelssohn A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream / SCO Chorus
- Berlioz Les Nuits d’Eté / Carolyn Sampson
- Sir James MacMillan 60th Birthday Concert / SCO Chorus
- Brilliance of the Baroque / Carolyn Sampson
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique and Fauré Requiem / SCO Chorus